Sunday, November 05, 2017

Looking for Sports Afield September-October 2012 125th Anniversary Edition quote


I am looking for help from someone who has access to the September-October 2012 edition of Sports Afield magazine. It is the 125th Anniversary edition.

I am looking to confirm a quote from BYU professor Tom Smith. It is probably in the "Hunt Safely in Grizzly Country" article, but I do not have a page number. The quote is:
 "If I'm actually out hunting and I have a gun in my hands a suddenly a bear comes at me--do you think I'm going to lay the gun down and pick up bear spray? Are you out of your mind?"

Smith is also quoted as saying: 
 "Does it really have to be a spray versus gun argument? That's ridiculous." Smith says "both guns and spray have their place... because there are times when one is the better, or the only option."
 I can find the quotes referred to in places, but there does not seem to be an online link for the original source.

If you have the original magazine, or access to an online version, I would like a picture of the page with the quotes, or a screenshot of the page with the quotes. Then I could use the image as a way to verify the original source authenticity.

Lacking that, verification of the the article and a page number would be helpful.

Any help would be appreciated. I would be happy to give credit to anyone who provides the source, if that would be desired.

You can send images or tips to isherllc@gmail.com.

Dean Weingarten

Gun Watch

Update: Thanks for all those who looked or offered suggestions. I have a copy of the article in my possession.










No comments: